Monday, January 26, 2009

New Year


Maw Maw and Caedmon

Nana J., Aunt Brenda and Caedmon
Bet you cant' guess what is on top of Derric's head...
a Santa hat!  I know, I was surprised too.

Aunt Link and Caedmon

I'm only 26 days late posting about our New Year. I guess that means I'm getting better. My husband from time to time likes to comment to me about our blog postings. His most recent comment was, "Honey, could you not talk in the third person for the next post? It seems silly." Okay so maybe I paraphrased it but the point is, due to my husbands request I will no longer talk in the third person.
But seriously I can not tell you how many Christmas letters I've received over the years from friends that narrated their lives in the third person, I think it is cool...

Anyway, back to the post. Our New Year was spent in Alabama with my Mom and Dad (Nana J. and ???? Paw Stanky, Papa, Popyee,I just can't decide what to call my Dad), Joel, Kim, and Lily Kate.
We had fun. The guys of course watched the football game. But later that night we all sat down as a family to watch "Journey to the Center of the Earth." Fifteen minutes into the movie (I'm wondering when Brandon Fraser is going to show up) we all start to wonder about this movie, it seemed really low budget with really bad acting so we stopped it and read the Netflix label only to discover that Mom had picked a different version than the Hollywood version we've all seen previews for on TV. We didn't finish it, it was BAD acting. We decided to watch Kit Kitridge(misspelled) instead. I thought it was cute and I was really surprised to find my husband still awake and actually watching the movie (secretly I think he enjoyed it but he won't admit it). We stayed up for a about 30 more minutes and kissed our spouses to bring in the New Year, then we all went immediately to bed (we aren't spring chickens anymore).

New Years Day my Dad's side of the family got together and we had a "Smelley" New Year, hanging out in Selma, AL at my Aunt Link's house. Previous to that we were able to see my Mom's side of the family and amazingly enough saw almost everyone. It was great! I really enjoyed seeing our entire family. That does not very often so when it does I consider myself blessed.

Derric and I will be married 4 years Feb. 5th and each year we sit down and make a list of goals. We don't call them resolutions because we don't like that word. If you set yourself a "goal" you've got something to reach for and if you don't reach it you just re-evaluate and try harder the next time. It has kinda become a tradition in our family. It is kind of nice sitting down with the previous year's goals and crossing some off and looking at others realizing that it wasn't as important as some but maybe we will move it to the top of the list for the next year. It helps keep us grounded.

That's all for January. Enjoy the photos.

2 comments:

Kerri said...

THANK YOU, DERRIC!!! (I secretly hated the third person, but I thought that just stemmed from being an English teacher! I love you though!)
I'm sorry we missed you guys at New Year's. We hope to get together soon. At least we'll have an addition the next time we see you!

Kay's Family said...

I hope one of your goals is to come see us in 2009! :)